[Forrest's Memo to Hawaiian Dredging Employees]
Last week Gordon Caughman, Macy Wessel and I attended crane training at the ITI (Industrial Training International) facility in Woodland Washington. The training/certifications we completed are to satisfy emerging OSHA/ASME standards that will become industry requirements in the near future (early 2011).
- Completed ‘Lift Director/Site Supervisor' training course
- Completed ‘Critical Lift Planning' training course
- Completed ‘Advanced Rigger Certification' exam
- Macy and I should participate in the ‘Master Rigger' program. In 1 week we will be able to gain experience in a wide range of lifting scenarios using many types of equipment (standard rigging, jacks, Hillmans, air beams, etc..). This is NOT a bunch of paperwork, rather a very practical experience that should better prepare us to develop lift plans and evaluate work practices.
- We need to make sure enough ‘Advanced Riggers' are available on site. In the future lifts will need to be supervised by people with this qualification - something Joaquin can expand upon better than I. The P&I division probably needs 2 additional people with this certification.
Thoughts on the Training Program:
- I was VERY impressed with ITI's facility and course materials. The problem solving portion of the ‘Advanced Rigger Certification' material is some of the best I have seen. The facility has almost every technology you can imagine available for use and training. The practical problem solving exercises are very educational and well thought out.
- I can easily recommend a continuing relationship with ITI for our training.
Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company
We were VERY impressed with the training program, specifically:
- The facility is awesome, it is great to have all that gear in one place to play with. It's got everything; air beams, Hillmans, you name it!
- All your personnel were great to deal with. The instructors we had (Dwight and Bob) were great in the classroom and in the field.
We really appreciate the help and hope to see you guys again soon.