Last week Gordon Caughman, Macy Wessel and I attended crane training at the ITI (Industrial Training International) facility in Woodland Washington. The training/certifications we completed are to satisfy emerging OSHA/ASME standards that will become industry requirements in the near future (early 2011).
- Completed ‘Lift Director/Site Supervisor' training course
- Completed ‘Critical Lift Planning' training course
- Completed ‘Advanced Rigger Certification' exam
- Macy and I should participate in the ‘Master Rigger' program. In 1 week we will be able to gain experience in a wide range of lifting scenarios using many types of equipment (standard rigging, jacks, Hillmans, air beams, etc..). This is NOT a bunch of paperwork, rather a very practical experience that should better prepare us to develop lift plans and evaluate work practices.
- We need to make sure enough ‘Advanced Riggers' are available on site. In the future lifts will need to be supervised by people with this qualification - something Joaquin can expand upon better than I. The P&I division probably needs 2 additional people with this certification.
Thoughts on the Training Program:
- I was VERY impressed with ITI's facility and course materials. The problem solving portion of the ‘Advanced Rigger Certification' material is some of the best I have seen. The facility has almost every technology you can imagine available for use and training. The practical problem solving exercises are very educational and well thought out.
- I can easily recommend a continuing relationship with ITI for our training.
Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company
We were VERY impressed with the training program, specifically:
- The facility is awesome, it is great to have all that gear in one place to play with. It's got everything; air beams, Hillmans, you name it!
- All your personnel were great to deal with. The instructors we had (Dwight and Bob) were great in the classroom and in the field.
- The practical examples were very educational and ‘Mike's Rigging Mysteries' is a fabulous training tool.
We really appreciate the help and hope to see you guys again soon.